Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sydney Film Festival 2010 program

SFF just announced their first part of the 2010 program. Unfortunately, Animal Kingdom didn't make it as one of the opening films but the rest of the lineup is making me do cartwheels across the room.

What I'm excited about:

The Loved Ones


I've been anxiously waiting to see this film ever since it garnered buzz at the midnight screenings at Toronto International Film Festival last year. It was supposed to be re-released in Australia earlier this year but was moved up closer to the end of the year (to be included in the festival, perhaps?). I've been stalking their official website for months now, waiting for some release news but I won't have to wait much longer after the film's inclusion in this year's lineup, unless it sells out straight away and I miss out again. Like Paranormal Activity last year...but let's not think about that.

Cyrus


The Duplass brother's comedy starring Jonah Hill, John C. Reilly and Marisa Tomei. The trailer looks really good and I'm currently in desperate need of a good comedy fix. I've been watching too many serious films at the moment.

Exit Through The Gift Shop

The Banksy documentary. I'm actually more excited about the fact that Banksy himself/herself will be attending this year's festival. Of course, no one know who he/she really is but I'm pretty sure he/she is going to be leaving behind some really cool graffiti art in the streets of Sydney.

Beautiful Darling

Andy Warhol and New York. That's all you need to convince me to see this.

The Messenger

I just want to see Woody Harrelson's performance.

What I want to see in the full program:

Animal Kingdom



Yeah, yeah I know that it's going to be released theatrically the day after the festival's opening. But (I can't believe I'm saying this) can they just schedule the release on a later date. Just to include it in the program.

Buried



An hour and a half in a coffin? Yes please. Plus it stars Ryan Reynolds. This is probably the most intriguing film to come out this year and I'm not waiting for a theatrical release. I want to see it NOW.

Hesher

Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Enough said.



Enter the Void

Looks pretty trippy. Plus it's made by a controversial French director. And controversy is always good to have in a festival.

I'm Here

A Spike Jonze thirty minute short. Judging from the screenshots, I'm guessing this film will be easy on the eyes. The concept is brilliant too.

Some of the stars attending this year include: Dakota Fanning (The Runawas) Ewan McGregor (The Ghost Writer) and Gerard Depardieu (Mammuth). Tilda Swinton is also attending, does that mean her film Julia will be playing in the festival too? I sure hope so.

Photos from: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

3 comments:

  1. I haven't actually heard of most of those included in the programme but will definitely check out some more info. I do, however, want to see the Banksy doc, Hesher, Buried, The Messenger and I'm Here. Great taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still writing up my piece about Animal Kingdom which I saw this evening. For now, I'll say that it is sensational, the best local film since Samson and Delilah and the best local crime film since The Boys (my equal favourite local film of all time).

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Paul Martin: Now you're making me want to see it even more...but now I'd just have to make do with watching the trailer over and over again. The trailer itself is amazing, I don't think I'll hear Air Supply's song the same way again.

    I loved Samson and Delilah too! I haven't seen The Boys, but I shall make a point to see it sometime.

    @ filmgeek: Definitely check out The Loved Ones but there isn't a lot of info out there (yet!) apart from a number of reviews. The official website is nothing but a major tease.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...