Friday, April 23, 2010

Olafur Eliasson's "Room for One Colour"

It's basically an empty room bathed in bright yellow light. Like Beauty it's a very simple concept but being inside that room was an experience I cannot quite describe. Or words may have failed me this time.


You stand in the middle of the room and look around, all you see is yellow. It's like being sucked inside the sun. My friend described it like being inside a tanning salon.

You're deprived of seeing other colours other than yellow and black. It's almost fascist in a way, taking away your right to see naturally.



We didn't spend too much time in the room as the light was suffocating and became increasingly unbearable it was almost torture. Like a gas chamber but with light. We were helpless in there and my primal instinct that triggered was: Get out.



Photos from:1, 2, 3

2 comments:

  1. LOL I feel like I am wearing tinted glasses that yellows up only part of my vision. Pretty sweet yellow dasies room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Michelle

    Thanks for the comment.
    When I read the exhibition program, I immediately pictured what you said this room would be like: sweet and pretty. But the shade of yellow they used was so intense and harsh, I lost the perception of sweet and pretty towards the colour yellow which I thought was interesting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...