Then there's the "Seat Saver"
Finally the clip that inspired this post, the "Die Hard"
The last line in the Die Hard video: "A die hard (film festival) machine always comes prepared..." got me wondering about the things found in my bag when I attend film screenings or festivals. So I compiled a list of things that HAVE to be with me during any screening.
1) Jacket, cardigan or scarf - No matter what time of year, the air-conditioning in a cinema is always turned up too high, and it's always cold. So I always have a second layer prepared when the mercury drops. Plus they're also useful as "seat savers" for friends who are late.
2) Moleskine notebook + pen - For taking down notes either during or after the movie. Extremely useful for jotting down memorable quotes and scenes. I don't always use this during the movie because most of the time I'm too absorbed with the story and forget to write down anything plus it's hard to write in the dark. (Hint: sit near the aisles if you want to note-take as the lights near them are usually bright enough and do not even think about bringing a pen light, unless you want your face punched)
3) Coffee/Vitamin Water - particularly handy during festivals when you see 3 or 4 movies a day and during any late night screening when you feel mentally fatigued or sleepy. Coffee should be consumed before going into the theatre as they're not usually allowed. Vitamin Waters are useful too, preferably the Revive or Focus. I drink Focus when I find my head wandering and I lose concentration, Revive when I feel like I'm about to die.
6) Travacalm Natural Tablets - highly recommended when about to see a film that uses the "shaky-cam" technique excessively. Movies like Cloverfield. It calms down the stomach so you won't have to barf and miss out on the movie.
7) Lucas Papaw Ointment/Chapstick - because that damn air-conditioner gives me dry lips.
8) Palmer's Shea Butter Formula - because that damn air-conditioner gives me dry hands.
10) Aspirin/Paracetamol - when watching migrain inducing films like Transformers, so basically all Michael Bay films.
11) Bottle of water - for taking all those tablets or just for quenching thirst.