Thursday, June 4, 2009

RANDOM RANTS: Book to Film Adaptations

I'm just about to finish Frankenstein and have started reading Oil! by Upton Sinclair, the novel that the 2007 film There Will Be Blood was based on. To be honest, I only like reading books that have been adapted or will be adapted to films. I just love the experience of seeing what I've read come alive to the big screen, or vice versa, seeing a film put into words. I'm aiming to read as many novels as I can and hopefully be able to post some book reviews up and maybe do film/novel comparisons.

Still in my list of "to read" are:

Atonement by Ian McEwan. Considered to be a masterpiece (the novel, not the film)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (this book is so frickin hard to get, all the copies in the libraries I've been to have them all loaned out)

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. At least I have faces to put on for the characters already, thank God for films.
Shutter Island by Dennis Lahane. Must finish this before the movie comes out!

Push by Sapphire (is this a pseudonym? I love people identified with only one name)
UPDATED: I've finished reading The Road and Atonement and both are ending up in my favourite books of all time. Cormac McCarthy and Ian McEwan are my new favourite authors, alongside Sonya Hartnett, of course. My review for Atonement: click here

4 comments:

  1. I promised myself that I'm going to read Atonement this summer. And watch that gorgeous-looking film that I've never seen before. WWII, romance, and coming-of-age! Too epic.

    I've tried reading Revolutionary Road. I might want to pick it up again someday.

    Oh wow. I didn't know that Oil! was written by the same guy who wrote The Jungle. Surprise, surprise. Upton Sinclair is a pretty pivotal name in an American history class during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century time frame. Yeah...just wanted to share that for like, no reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, read Atonement, I've just started it and it's such an interesting read.
    I stopped reading Oil!. I decided that I would see the movie first before finishing the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to read Oil (though I only keep on seeing his The Jungle) and see how much of PTA's adaptation veered away from the original material hehehe. loved the film though, one of 2007's best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (*The Jungle in booksales i mean hehe)I have yet to see an RR that is not a movie tie-in. I love that vintage car cover. I read recently Richard Yates' A Good School though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...