Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Allure of the Flawed Man


The first time we see Stanley in A Streetcar Named Desire we see it behind Blanche. Once she sets her eyes upon him we notice an undeniable sense of fear but also a flicker of animalistic attraction. Being the prim and proper condescending canary bird that she is, she quickly suppresses this unexpected desire for such a common man.

Then he takes his jacket off.

We see that tiny flicker come back to life, and as quickly as it came, it is extinguished.

Let me just say I did not share this same push-pull inner conflict Blanche had towards Stanley.

My attraction started with a flicker. Then it burst into flames. And it continued that way throughout the entire film, only slightly stifled by that brief drunken rage he unleashed on poor Stella.

Of course, that irresistibly mesmerizing STEEEELLLLLAAAAA scene played right after that and I was back on track.

He looked like a poor, dampened lamb. So very cute and sincerely sorry. I use the term sincerely with hesitation because I’m not entirely sure if he was sorry -domestic violence is unforgivable anyway - but let’s not deny the powerful attraction of a man with a ripped t-shirt. There is something so attractive about someone who is evidently flawed.

Stella said it herself. The first night in their home after their wedding, he smashed all the light bulbs with the heel of her slippers. “You didn’t run, or scream?”, Blanche asks her. “Actually, I was thrilled by it”, Stella replies back.

Now that we’re talking about flawed men, let’s not forget Paul Newman from A Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. He is undoubtedly sexiest alcoholic in film history. Like Stanley, he too is extremely troubled.

And the poor little thing is hopping around with his broken leg, you just want to help him.


I imagine myself coming face to face with him and smelling the stench of his alcoholic breath. Quickly forgetting about it half a second later just by glancing at his exquisite Mediterranean sea-blue eyes.

*sigh*

P.S. I just read through this blog post and it is overloaded with sexual innuendos that I did not even intend. Sorry.




Image Credits: Marlon Brando, Paul Newmam

4 comments:

  1. Hi there. I found your blog via Mirror Film and I really like your writing. Everything you said about Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire (one of my favorite films!) is so on point. That scene where Stella comes down the stairs and digs her fingertips into Stanley's back and they kiss...one of the most erotically charged scenes ever; I love it. If this were made today, there would undoubtedly be a sex scene right after that, but I liked the suggestion of it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your sweet comment.

    Yes, I agree with you. Suggestion is always much more erotic than actually showing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for he follow! Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is one of my favorite movies of all time. Elizabeth Taylor was such a lady with a fashion sense in this movie - loved it!
    xx
    Shellena
    mintalamode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a die hard fan of your posts, and can't stay away from your writings for a long time. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...