Tuesday, May 5, 2009

THE TOP TEN: My most anticipated films of 2009

NOTE: Again, this is not in particular order.

#10: Where the wild things are

I've never read the book but the trailer looks fantastic. After Pan's Labyrinth, I'm all in for storybook tale movies with a dark twist. Plus Spike Jonze is directing, who am I to resist?

TRAILER:


#9: Bruno

I just recently re-watched Sacha Baron Cohen's previous film, Borat and it reminded me how groundbreaking this comedian really is. Daring, risky and shocking. In a good way. His name alone will secure a seat for me in the theatre and judging from the trailer, it's going to be hilarious.

Do yourself a favour and see this on the big screen. Comedies like Borat are best seen with a group of people in a dimly lit room. Trust me.

#8: Up

The yearly Pixar release is always going to make it to my anticipated films list of any year. You don't understand how much of a fan I am of Pixar. I love their work and I love what they do with their movies. They're the only ones who seem to be able to produce movies that are artistic masterpieces but at the same time make it marketable to mainstream audiences. They don't seem to fail and I don't see why they're going to fail with this next one. A sure-to-be instant hit.
According to test screenings at a certain film festival (forgot what it was called. BNAT-? i think. Google it), Up seems to be receiving a positive buzz even in its rough version.
Oh and did I mention that it's being screened on 3D? CAN'T WAIT!

TRAILER:


#7: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

I'm not usually a big fan of action films. This is because in most films, I see the same car chase sequence over and over again, with few variations. So most of the time I just get bored with it. But there's something about Michael Bay films that make me jittery on my seat. I love films that are pushing their over-the-topness, without actually going full blown OTT.
Transformers was one of these films. I have never been so ecstatic in a movie theatre, ever. I was practically high on adrenaline. Hopefully, this does not fall short of it predecessor.

#6: Angels and Demons

Yes, I read the book. Kept me awake at night for about a week, I couldn't stop reading it. When I finally forced myself to turn off the lights and go to bed, I just stared at the book in the dark, and it teased me. Then I would give in and start reading it again. Now imagine that kind of willingness to see (or read) a story progress and have that translated on screen. BOOM. You have Angels and Demons.

#5: Inglorious Basterds (no it's not a typo, that's just how Tarantino likes it spelt)

Tarantino. Enough said. No, I'm not a pretentious fan. He's just a bloody fantastic filmmaker.

TRAILER:


#4: Julie and Julia

Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. Those two names alone will have me rushing down to the theatre. Oh. It's a film about cooking. Perfect. I have this thing with films and shows about food. You know, movies like No Reservation and Ratatouille. TV shows like Hell's Kitchen and Masterchef. There's something so delicious about them. I actually like eating dinner while watching them, it's weirdly satisfying.

#3: The Fantastic Mr Fox

Another movie movie adapted from a beloved novel. And with big names attached to it like Cate Blanchett, George Clooney and Bill Murray. No, this movie must not be skipped.

#2: Shutter Island

A definite Oscar contender. There's just so much talent involved with this film, this just had to be on this list. You can't really go wrong with Scorcese, I mean The Departed is going to remain as one of my most loved films. Let this be the next one.

#1: Moon

Independent and sci-fi usually don't go hand in hand when you're talking about films. But apparently this succeeds spectacularly. The new Sam Rockwell film screened in various film festivals, including Tribeca and is generating quite a buzz. Can't wait until it's released theatrically.

1 comment:

  1. Good list. I'm looking forward to Up, The Fantastic Mr Fox, Julie & Julia and Shutter Island myself which I reckon is gonna be friggin' awesome. My list also includes My Sister's Keeper and The Lovely Bones as I am a fan of the books

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...