Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bookish Fashion and George Orwell




I blogged about Out of Print here before. They're an online shop that sell T-shirts and sweaters designed with iconic book covers. I was meant to get the Moby Dick one but, alas, they were out of stock of that particular style and it was already discontinued. 

They sent me George Orwell's 1984 fleece instead. I haven't read the book but I downloaded the e-book to my iPad when I received the fleece, just so I wouldn't look silly if people ask me if I have read the book I'm wearing.

I've never really had any urge to read this book but after the first chapter I was hooked. I don't know if it's because I'm a pessimist but I've always been drawn to dystopian fiction. Both The Giver and The Road are two of my favourite books of all time and I think I'm about to add 1984 to that list.

In one of the earlier chapters in the book, our protagonist starts to write in this blank journal he found in a store with a good, old-fashioned pen. In this futuristic world both items seem to exist as relics. He writes a banal entry but discovers that the act of writing, of putting thoughts into paper, is gratifyingly liberating. I can't help but look back when I was younger and identify with this particular sentiment. I felt (and still feel) exactly the same way every time I write.

Enough of the book rant. Let's talk about this unabashedly nerdy sweater. The fabric is so soft and cosy it's the kind of thing I would wear when I want to snuggle up and read a good book. I love the colour and according to the company's Facebook page, they're releasing new styles very soon, so I'm definitely going to get some more.


All images are owned by me and cannot be reused without permission



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...