Tuesday, February 1, 2011

'To read' pile



1) I've just started reading Dostoyevsky's Notes from Underground. The narrator is particularly interesting. Quite bitter and tortured but surprisingly light-hearted in a Russian kind of way. Also, I enjoy how he talks directly as if he was conversing to the reader and it's funny how he's so unreliable - he tells one thing in one chapter and in the next he admits he had been lying the whole time.


2) I'm on the third book of Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim series with Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness. It's fun and hilarious but my only problem is I  tend to picture the film whilst reading. Maybe the film was too faithful to the source material because it plays out almost exactly the same way.


3) Usually books on cinema tend to be too academic but Corless and Darke's Cannes is surprisingly readable. The book creates an insightful and interesting look into the inner workings and politics behind the annual Cannes Film Festival.


4) My light read of the month is Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall. I use the word 'light' lightly because, it is after all, about a girl who relives the day of her death over and over again. It's depressing in a Lovely Bones kind of way but the writing isn't too difficult to digest, hence the 'light' read.


5) I'm re-reading the last book of the HP series - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, just so I would be fully updated when the second part of the film adaptation comes out this year. Turns out, I've forgotten a lot of things since last time I've read it and it also made me realise how much they leave out in the movie. I would have liked to have seen an extended version of the Kreacher's Tale chapter.


So what's in your to-read pile?

1 comment:

  1. If you enjoyed Notes from Underground, I highly recommend The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment. Dostoevsky was a genius!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...