Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oscar Oscar Oscar

I've never been this excited for the Oscars ever since the year LOTR swept it. I'm excited partly due to the new (or reintroduced) 10 best picture nominees rule. Even though there will be about 3 or 4 that will be at the head of the pack, it is still fantastic to see more pictures get recognition.

I've already compiled a fantasy nominee list in my head.

First, it will include an animated film. Probably Up but I wouldn't mind seeing Fantastic Mr Fox or Coraline in there as well, but preferably Up since I worship Pixar.

Second, it will include a documentary film, The Cove is my choice.

It will also include a foreign film. The White Ribbon will do but Australia's Samson and Delilah, in my opinion, deserves a spot as well.

It will have these three films too: The Hurt Locker, Bright Star and An Education. Why? Because they all have female directors, and they need more recognition.

Then there's the sure-to-be's. Up in the Air and Precious

Throw in Inglorious Basterds.

Then a blockbuster: Avatar

And boom you have *my* perfect ten.

Now for the best director. Again wouldn't it be awesome if 3 of the 5 nominees are women? For the first time in Oscar history, the best director award will be dominated by women. So fingers crossed for Katherine Bigelow, Jane Campion, and Lone Scherfig to all get noms. Throw them in with the big boys, Tarantino and Cameron. That would be interesting.

Although I'm almost certain that Bigelow will take it home.

Now, the best actress. I want to see younger actresses dominate this year. Even though I love Meryl Streep, I think she's had enough accolades already and she didn't really top herself this year. I don't want to see Helen Mirren get another nomination. So I'm going with Gabourey Sidibe (Precious), Carey Mulligan (An Education), Abbie Cornish (Bright Star), Emily Blunt (The Young Victoria) and Zoe Saldana for Avatar. That will also make it the first acting nomination for someone who performed using motion capture.

Best Actor. Very strong this year. George Clooney (Up in the Air), Colin Firth (A Single Man), Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker), Sam Rockwell (Moon) and Viggo Mortensen (The Road).

Supporting Actress. Two from Up in the Air: Anna Kendrick and Vera Farmiga. Samantha Morton (The Messenger), Mo'Nique (Precious) and Natalie Portman (Brothers)

Supporting Actor. Christoph Waltz. Period.

I'll probably be wrong with most of these predictions, but hey, I can still hope.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that I'm basing my dissertation on it (I need to study things I'm passionate about). I really do believe that this is the year of the women and Kathryn Bigelow, Nora Ephron, Lone Scherfig and Jane Campion are in with a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. meryl streep all the way. sorry jekk jekk

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...