Monday, December 7, 2009

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS: The Giver




Set in the 'Community', a world where free will and choice is so strictly controlled that it's almost non-existent, in exchange for a society where everyone is free from pain, suffering and hurt - numb. This is a sci-fi adventure of a boy who discover that dark and distrurbing events can happen amongst a seemingly perfect world.

This is currently on my top ten books of all time. I hate to sound cliche but this book truly changed my life. It was a harrowing experience to read this as the story itself was quite disturbing but it made me appreciate a lot of the things that I took for granted in my life. With all the horrible things going on around the world, this book made me utterly grateful to live in a society that harbours freedom and choice.

I would recommend this to everyone I know, it's just one of those books that you have to read at least once in your lifetime, it's not hard as it's a fairly short book, so it's very easy to digest - you can easily finish this in one night. Please, do yourself a favour and read this book.

You'll love this if you liked the film Pleasantville and/or the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Book cover from: Cover Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...